9192 Red Branch Rd Suite 270
Columbia, MD 21045
(240) 722-1014 for our intake department
Personalize Care for You or a Loved One
When it comes to eating disorders for both adolescents and teens, often times, symptoms can overlap with two or more disorders. At The Body Image Therapy Center, we provide caring and compassionate:
- Anorexia Treatment
- Bulimia Treatment
- Help with Compulsive Exercising and Muscle Dysmorphia
- Binge Eating Treatment
- Treatment for Atypical Anorexia, Sub-Threshold Bulimia, Sub-Threshold BED, Purging Disorder and Night Eating Syndrome
- Treatment and Counseling for Underlying Anxiety, Depression and Mood Issues
- Care for Other Self-Esteem and Body Image Issues
Our specialists and treatment plans are focused on treating the entire person rather than the disease, and we pride ourselves on customizing treatment plans to achieve the highest possible success rate.
Experienced and Proven Treatment Plans
It’s important to understand that treating young people is different than treating adults — both from a body and a mind perspective. With programs and treatment plans designed for our clients and their parents/family, we aim to help the entire family unit gain the tools and resources necessary to recover and lead healthy lives. Particularly with adolescents and teens, a family approach is vital for success that includes:
- Proper Diagnosis of Eating Disorders and Related Issues
- Customized Eating Disorder Treatment Plans
- Empowering Individuals to Better Their Lives
- A Nurturing Environment with Personalized Care
- Evidence-Based Treatment Individually Tailored for You or a Loved One
- A Safe Environment for Learning and Discovering New and Healthier Behaviors
Effective eating disorder treatment requires identifying the root cause of the disorder. Eating disorders can be complex while numerous emotional, physical, and mental issues may come in to play when treating the disorder and underlying issues. Our team specializes in effectively identifying and treating all issues.
Intensive Outpatient Program:
Our Columbia, MD eating disorder treatment facility offers an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) for adolescents and teens. Clients are accepted based on medical appropriateness and psychological readiness per the Academy for Eating Disorders. Clients must be medically stable enough for outpatient treatment and must not pose any danger to themselves or others and must be deemed cooperative and motivated to undergo treatment while being able to accept help from family and professional supports in and outside program to restore normal eating and exercise patterns.
Understanding that adolescents have other school and extracurricular obligations, our Intensive Outpatient Program provides the flexibility necessary to balance treatment and life. This program requires participation just three evenings per week on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 4-7 p.m.
We also recognize that families have the most influence on children seeking eating disorder treatment and this program focuses on evidence-based practices for the entire family. Our program provides clients with the skills necessary to implement in daily life while overcoming an eating disorder.
Our program goals include establishing sustainable eating patterns that include three meals per day plus snacks through a meal plan designed by our dietitians. Other goals include a halt to eating disorder behavior for four consecutive weeks, recognizing thinking patterns that contribute to the disorder and implementing cognitive pattern changes, developing self-soothing skills, and minimizing the importance of weight and body shape in defining self-worth. We also implement a goal of daily physical activity as a means of mood and self-esteem improvement when appropriate and not contra-indicated due to a client’s need to restore weight.
This program offers a wide variety of customized therapy options that include group and individual therapy, family therapy, nutrition and education counseling, therapeutic meal supervision and coordination of care as needed. Therapy offerings include:
- Nutrition Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Stress Management
- Mindfulness Training
- Art Therapy
- Weekly Meal Planning
Treating adolescents can be an intricate process. Our licensed clinicians and registered dietitians are educated and trained on the treatment of children, teens and adults. Our team approach allows us to provide the highest level of care for our clients, parents and family members.
We recognize that some clients may not have adequate family or peer support. We are proud to cater to these clients along with diverse communities, including the LGBTQIA+ community. We strive to support our clients so that they never feel alone. We are a trauma-informed program and work to provide treatment and resources through all phases of recovery.
If you are ready to help your child take the first step in overcoming an eating disorder, or if you are struggling with an eating disorder and are ready to seek out help, please contact us today. We are ready to help you and your loved one regain a healthy, happy life.
Compassionate Eating Disorder Treatment
Body Image Therapy Center provides customize treatment programs for adolescents and teens ages 11-18 diagnosed with anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder (aka compulsive overeating). Other diagnoses include OSFED (other specific eating disorders such as atypical anorexia, sub-threshold bulimia, sub-threshold BED, purging disorder, and night eating syndrome), compulsive exercise behaviors, and dual diagnosis clients who have an eating disorder mixed with a mood disorder.
- Patients are accepted based on medical appropriateness and psychological readiness for care as prescribed by the Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- Medically stable to the extent that more extensive medical monitoring is not required
- No danger to self or others
- Self-sufficient in eating/weight restoration with the help of family and outside supports
- Fair to good motivation to recover, including cooperativeness, insight, and ability to control or tolerate obsessive thoughts
- Can greatly reduce compulsive exercising and are ready to begin including light exercise again
- Can greatly reduce binge eating, purging, laxative and diuretic abuse in non-structured settings
- Establish a regular and sustainable eating pattern including three regular meals a day plus snacks as required by a dietitian-designed meal plan
- Stop all eating disorder behaviors for 4 consecutive weeks
- Recognize unhelpful thinking patterns and learn skills to change them
- Develop and demonstrate competence with at least 5 alternative coping and self-soothing skills
- Decrease the importance of weight and shape in defining self-worth
- Integrate physical activity into daily routine and improve mood and self-esteem
Treatment Team Includes:
- Licensed masters or doctorate level clinicians
- Registered dietician
Adolescent IOP Treatment includes:
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Supervision of one therapeutic meal per session
- Coordination of care with an outpatient team if applicable
Adolescent IOP Program Hours:
- Patients attend Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- IOP group meets from 4-7 p.m., with Monday groups including parents of multi-family therapy.
- Individual and family therapy and nutrition counseling are also provided once a week.
Additional Insurance Information:
- We are in-network with most insurances and can often arrange single case agreements for those who do not have coverage for care with us. In most cases, you will be responsible for your deductible and co-pays.
- Call (877) 674-2843 and we will be happy to verify insurance information. As a courtesy to prospective patients our admissions staff will, with your consent, contact your insurance carrier to obtain a quote of insurance benefits. We will share this information with you to help you make an educated decision about your treatment options and what your insurance will cover.
- Our staff will also coordinate insurance coverage and payment for all treatment authorized by your insurance company.